H.O.T.‘s Tony An has recently been criticized for a comment he made in light of the Sokcho fire and has issued an apology as a result.
On April 5, Tony An shared a post on his Instagram that was captioned, “Today is exciting Friday whoo hoo! #TonyAn #Friday #FireFriday #But #WhatIsThereToLife #LetsWork #Haha #Drawing”
While “fire Friday” is a common Korean term used to celebrate Friday as “TGIF” is used in English, netizens who saw the post deemed it inappropriate in light of the recent tragedy caused by the wildfires in Gangwon Province.
- “Our country is in a state of national crisis due to the wildfires so I don’t think it’s appropriate to say you’re excited because it’s fire Friday.”
- “Today is not an exciting fire Friday, it is a Friday where everyone is worried.”
- “I think it will become a day that many people become worried.”
- “I guess you didn’t see the news yet, oppa.”
Tony An deleted the post within approximately an hour and shared another post apologizing for his ignorance.
Please forgive careless Tony who used a careless term without being aware of the world issues. I simply wanted to wish everyone a happy Friday. I’m sorry.
ㅡ Tony An
Fans were understanding after he posted the apology and tried to make him feel better.
- “We were afraid you were going to be criticized for this.”
- “You didn’t know about it so don’t take it too hard.”
- “We know how you feel.”
Meanwhile, the government declared the Gangwon region a stated of “disaster crisis” at 9 am on April 5. The government is taking action to announce disaster alerts, mobilize support/equipment/supplies, set danger zones, order evacuations, provide emergency aid and dispatch emergency civil servants to the affected areas.
BLACKPINK has also canceled their press conference that was scheduled earlier today in consideration of the tragic news.
1 death and 11 injuries have been reported so far and 125 homes have been destroyed.